Pictorial Prose

Pictorial Prose
Indulging my most lucid daydreams

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

...in the blue of the sky.

One of my very favorite stories as a child was the " Gift of the Magi", written by O Henry. Though the story is written around the holidays, I never actually saw it as a holiday story, as much as a love story. For those who have never read the book, It's about a young couple who are very much in love, but can barely afford their meager apartment. Set around the Christmas season, Della decides to cut her beautiful long hair and sell it to buy James a chain for his pocket watch and her husband James decides to sell his heirloom pocket watch which he inherited from his father to buy her a comb for her beautiful long hair. Like all good stories with a moral, the gift becomes unimportant and what matters most is what each was willing to give, to sacrifice to make the other happy.
There are many ways in which we show our love for one another, ways we sacrifice and share our hearts and souls. It is amazing how love can see beyond and find beauty in the most awkward of situations. There are many stories like the gift of the magi, not necessarily in giving of a practical gift, but the expressing of emotions, and seeing the beauty within a person. The guidance and even the acknowledgement , the gift of acceptance, loyalty, can be expressed in a mulititude of fashion. Embracing each other as we embrace life, showers us with a explosion of magic upon each day.

You gave and I accepted,
and there begins our dream,
you opened up your heart,
and the rest is memories.


Sings> I love you, I love you, I love you I do, and the words I write are written for you. I love you, I love you, I love you I do...


No comments: