Pictorial Prose

Pictorial Prose
Indulging my most lucid daydreams

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Carolina Wren

My kitchen Carolina Wren has hatched her babies. I am not sure what sparked her to build a nest in my kitchen hanging flower plant. But for the nest few weeks this is where she will call home. Though I am glad I neglected that begonia plant or I would have flooded her out of her nesting home. Of course I had to be careful not to burn dinner and smoke her out and yet she never seemed to mind when I was doing dishes and making noise.
I peeked into her nest yesterday morning and found four little babies with their mouths wide open waiting to be fed. The longer I stared at them, the more they shook their heads back and fourth. It was as if they were saying okay where is the food. Of course Mrs. Carolina wren worked tirelessly bringing them a full range of insects from spiders to crickets and yes a few tree frogs.
I am beginning to feel like "snow white" and should start singing ....ah ah ah and all the birds and animals of the forest will come to visit....ah not. Lol I have had my share of opossum, raccoons, foxes and hawks and owls and don't forget snakes. Yepper not a fan of snakes.  The one in the middle I call her Elsie she has the biggest mouth and is always waiting for food. Mrs Carolina wren usually migrates but with a milder winter I think she stayed the whole year. Might be why she is so use to me.





No comments: