Pictorial Prose

Pictorial Prose
Indulging my most lucid daydreams

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

West Side Story...



 You cannot lose that which is an
 internal part of your hole being






It was ninth grade, a very transitional year. English class had us reading West Side Story, biology class has us dissecting sheep brains and  the opposite sex was beginning to look very different. Many things that we were taught were based on facts, it was and is pretty clear cut. The emotions that we would soon be exploring were very different and I believe they are an exception to the knowledge that we had attained up to that moment. It kind of reminds me of the simple  version of boy meets girl, but there is actually nothing simple about it. In some ways we weren't taught to follow our gut instincts and the chemistry that flows between the opposite sex's had very little to do with heart and soul.  To bad we can't dissect emotions like that of the brain. 
Why do we instinctively overlook the signs that trigger off those little red flags? It could be we  never learned to trust ourselves or that it just wasn't discussed or reinforced. In the central part of my being I think we or I was and is aware of the heart and souls needs. I thought what altered those signals which hits the switch on choice? Circumstance! I have been down the road of circumstances many times. It paints a completely different view and it definitely alters the stage in which we stand. At times life felt much like a sticky trap, you are drawn into it and you can't pull free,not easily anyway. 
If life was guided under the direction of the soul, where would it lead?  For one brief moment I closed my eyes and allowed the voice of my soul to speak."Spirit free, spirit high, soaring above the blue of the sky, desperate wants and desperate needs, reveal the hearts inner plea" . "The need to walk through life unchallenged, without barriers, without  fear, with all of joy and love to share. " 
Sometimes we find that the child within us, the teenager who has yet to let go all play a part in the direction our life takes us. So I am reminded of songs that were common to the era. Many of them had to do with the companion, the love, friendship and the all so needed support of a one on one relationship. The Beatle song comes to mind " All My Loving" 


Close your eyes and I'll kiss you ,tomorrow I'll miss you, remember I'll always be true 
and then while I'm away ,I'll write home everyday and I'll send all my loving to you. I'll pretend that I'm kissing the lips I am missing ...


In many instances each song reveals the similarities in our emotions and the reality that the wants and needs our own heart and souls are not much different from one an another. To be loved and to return the love. 


There's a place for us, 
Somewhere a place for us. 
Peace and quiet and open air 
Wait for us 
Somewhere. 

There's a time for us, 
Some day a time for us, 
Time together with time spare, 
Time to learn, time to care, 
Some day! 

There's a place for us, 
A time and place for us. 
Hold my hand and we're halfway there. 
Hold my hand and I'll take you there 
~

Holding hands is the outward 
embrace of holding hearts. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

one day to fall in love , a life time time to forget .

Anonymous said...

one 1 day to fall in love a life time to forget

Rachel C Miller said...

Anyonymous,

It make take a day to fall in love, but I don't believe that you ever forget. Love is remarkable and that it is not in the abstract but and internal part of who we are. You cannot separate,erase a part of who u are. I don't think we should ever forget, but accept the love that is within us.

Rachel

Rachel